The Centre and state governments on Wednesday hit out at one another over vaccine shortage even because the every day Covid-19 case rely breached the 1.25 lakh-mark for the primary time for the reason that coronavirus pandemic started final yr.
Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh mentioned they’ve formally knowledgeable the Centre about their quick depleting inventory of Covid-19 vaccines, whereas Chhattisgarh and Odisha mentioned they too are dealing with an identical shortage.
The Centre in the meantime claimed there is no such thing as a shortage of Covid-19 vaccines within the nation and that states will likely be supplied with sufficient inventory as per their want. Union well being minister Harsh Vardhan additionally slammed the states and requested them to first “put their house in order”.
Besides this, the federal government has determined to permit all workplaces, private and non-private, to organise Covid-19 vaccination classes if they’ve about 100 eligible beneficiaries. The Centre has requested states and Union Territories (UTs) to organize themselves for this launch by April 11.
Here are 10 issues you must know in regards to the pandemic right now:
1) The every day Covid-19 rely in India breached the 1.25 lakh-mark on Wednesday, with Maharashtra alone reporting 59,907 new instances. This is by far the best every day case rely for India ever for the reason that pandemic started final yr.
According to a tally maintained by IndiaAt present.in, apart from Maharashtra:
- Chhattisgarh reported 10,310 instances
- Karnataka 6,976 instances
- Uttar Pradesh 6,023 instances
- Delhi 5,506 instances
- Madhya Pradesh 4,043 instances
- Gujarat 3,575 instances
- Kerala 3,502 instances
- Tamil Nadu 3,986 instances
- Punjab 2,997 instances
- Rajasthan 2,801 instances
- West Bengal 2,390 instances
- Haryana 2,366 instances
- Andhra Pradesh 2,331 instances
- Telangana 1,914 instances
- Bihar 1,527 instances
- Jharkhand 1,312 instances
- Uttarakhand 1,109 instances
- J&Okay 812 instances
- Odisha 791 instances
- Goa 527 instances
- Chandigarh 399 instances
- Assam 195 instances.
The cumulative determine for these states is 1,25,299. However, the general nationwide determine for Wednesday can be nonetheless increased as numbers for some states are unknown.
2) Meanwhile, Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope on Wednesday mentioned the state’s Covid-19 vaccine inventory won’t final greater than three days. Urging the Centre to offer extra doses of Covid-19 vaccines, he mentioned the state authorities has been compelled to shut a number of vaccination centres as a result of shortage.
“We need 40 lakh vaccine doses every week. We can then administer six lakh doses every day in a week. The doses we are getting are not enough,” he mentioned, including the Centre ought to be certain that these within the 20-40 age group are vaccinated on precedence.
3) Andhra Pradesh too reported a shortage of Covid-19 vaccines and wrote to the Centre urging extra provides. The Odisha authorities mentioned it has vaccines for one more three days and that it had written to the central authorities on Tuesday urging it to offer 15 to twenty lakh doses of the ‘Covishield’ vaccine to proceed the inoculation drive easily.
4) Responding to this, Union well being minister Harsh Vardhan rejected the allegations of vaccine shortage and termed them “utterly baseless”. He mentioned states can be supplied with sufficient provide as per their wants. He added that states want to enhance the implementation of their testing and containment methods and vaccination drive.
5) Hitting out at the Maharashtra authorities specifically, he mentioned its “lackadaisical” perspective has “singularly bogged down” all the nation’s efforts to struggle the virus.
6) On the recurring calls for from states to decrease age restrict for vaccination in order that extra folks may very well be lined, Harsh Vardhan alleged that states have been making an attempt to cowl their “failures” and unfold panic among the many folks by demanding vaccination for all with out first inoculating sufficient of the eligible beneficiaries.
Chief ministers of Delhi, Rajasthan, Punjab and Maharashtra have been demanding the Centre to decrease age limits and permit vaccination for all. On Wednesday, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi additionally supported this demand, saying each Indian “deserves the chance to a safe life”.
7) The Centre has allowed all workplaces, private and non-private, to organise vaccination classes at their premises to inoculate their employees. However, this will likely be allowed for less than these workplaces which have about 100 eligible and keen beneficiaries. In a letter, Union Health Secretary Rajesh Bhushan requested states and UTs to get ready for this launch by April 11.
8) Meanwhile, evening curfews and restrictions have been imposed in additional elements of the nation on Wednesday. Chhattisgarh, which has emerged as a hotspot, ordered full lockdown within the state capital Raipur from April 9 to 19.
Odisha too has imposed evening curfew from 10 pm to five am in Sundargarh, Bargarh, Jharsuguda, Sambalpur, Balangir, Nuapada, Kalahandi, Malkangiri, Koraput and Nabarangpur districts to include the unfold of the illness.
9) In Madhya Pradesh, the federal government has imposed evening curfew and lockdown on Sunday in city areas from Thursday, apart from suspending bus operations with Chhattisgarh until April 15. Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh additionally introduced extension of evening curfew to all the state and a ban on political gatherings until April 30.
10) Meanwhile, the Bombay High Court on Wednesday sought response of the Centre on a petition requesting that door-to-door vaccination facility be made obtainable for residents above 75 years and likewise for these individuals who can not go to vaccination centres as a result of they’re both bed-ridden or wheelchair-bound.